Star Wars Epics Cookbook (Merged)

Posted
Rating:
New Republic Intelligence<br> I'll kill you with this fraking tray<br>Feles Mala!<br> I <3 Sammiches!

Re: Star Wars Epics Cookbook (Merged)

Ooooh…those sound abolutely delicious.  I think I'll have to make some for my once-a-week-forget-the-guilt treat.

Quod Me Nutrit, Me Destruit
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Samantha Koortyn is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Okay, I have seen and eaten a zucchini.  Silly me :]

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Han Antilles is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Man, that sounds good.

Posted
Rating:

hello all… there's this famous vegetarian restaurant in Ithica NY called the moosewood, (they don't count fish as meat) I have 4 of their cook books (one entirely on deserts) and no I'm not vegettarian but the food is just so good, I've made this mushroom stuffed tomato… bosnian meatballs (made with tofu instead of meat they turn out to be like biscuits and are served with a yogurt sauce), I've made scones, transylvanian eggplant casorole, anadama bread (a sweat bread made with molases), chocolate cherry clafouti (you take the seeds out of a lot of cherries put them in a 8 inch pan put chocolate chips on top, and then pour on a batter that is more egg than flour bake and you can top with powdered sugar or I think whip cream on top), "a proper trifle" (that's the name of the recipe), savory scallion biscuits…  I can look up some recipes if you like but it would help to know what people would like to hear about, I'm partial to the anadama bread and mushroom stuffed tomatos.

Posted
Rating:
Site director

Now I'm hungry.

Posted
Rating:

Hey there! thanks for sharing. Any of the breads, biscuts, or deserts sound good to me! :) Maybe you can share all your favorites over time. that's what I'm doing. :)

Posted
Rating:

Jola'Edana Kahlid said

Hey there! thanks for sharing. Any of the breads, biscuts, or deserts sound good to me! :) Maybe you can share all your favorites over time. that's what I'm doing. :)

In that case I think I'll do the anadama bread first, the scones which are kind of like biscuits, and the chocolate cherry clafoutti (or however that's spelled) I'll try to post them tonight.  but seriously I haven't even scratched the surface of the cookbooks (when it comes to making the dishes in them).

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Corran Antilles is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Sounds good.

Posted
Rating:

Here are 2 of the three recipes I promised, I may have lent out the book of desserts and not gotten it back, I'll keep looking

Anadama bread

2 cups water
2 cups milk or soy milk
2 cups yellow cornmeal
0.5 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup warm water
0.25 cup unsulphured molasses
2 packages dry yeast (about 2 tablespoons)
12 to 13 cups unbleached white flour
0.5 cup canola or other vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt

a little oil for hands, the rising bowl, and the loaf pans
2 tablespoons melted butter for glazing (optional)

bring the water and milk or soy milk to a boil in a saucepan; stir in the cornmeal and brown sugar and set aside to cool a bit. In a small bowl stir together the warm water and molasses and dissolve the yeast in it.  When the cornmeal mush has cooled to 105 to 115 degrees F transfer it to a large bowl and stir in the yeast mixture.

Stir in 2 cups of the flower and beat 100 strokes.  Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set it asside in a warm place to rise (to create a warm draft free place for the bread to rise, boil two pots of water and place them in the oven with the bowl of dough.  The oven is insulated and will retain the warmth produced by the pots of hot water.  Or turn on the oven for just a few minutes, turn it off, and put the bowl of dough inside.  The residual oven heat should help the dough to rise.) until the mixture bubbles, about 45 minutes, this batter is called a “sponge.”

Stir the oil salt and 7 to 8 cups of the remaining flour into the sponge to make a stiff dough, mixing well.  Generously dust a board (I used the kitchen counter washed with bleach first instead of a board) with the remaining flour.  Turn the dough onto the board and knead it until elastic, about 10 minutes.  The dough may be sticky; lightly oiling your hands will be helpful.

Oil the bowl, return the kneaded dough to the bowl and flip it over to lightly coat with oil.  Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.

Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured board.  Slice it into halves and shape each half to fit a 5 by 9 by 3 inch loaf pan (I used two 8 by 8 pans and it worked fine).  Lightly oil the two loaf pans, place the dough in them, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

When the dough has risen, bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom.  Cool on a wire rack.  Brush the tops of the loaves with a little melted butter, if desired.

Scones

1.5 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
2 cups unbleached white flour
1.5 tablespoons sugar
0.25 teaspoon salt
0.5 cup raisins
0.75 cup milk

preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and flour rubbing them lumps of butter between touor fingers and thumbs.  Stir in the sugar, salt, and raisins.  Slowly stir in the milk adding just enough to make a smooth, but not sticky, dough

On a lightly floured surface (once again I used a kitchen counter cleaned with bleach), roll the dough oout to a 0.5 inch thickness.  Cut out 2 inch rounds (I couldn’t find my cookie cutters so I used a 0.5 measuring cup i.e. a dry measure measuring cup and that worked pretty well) and place them on a buttered baking pan.  Keep rolling out the scraps until all the dough is used up.  Bake them for about 20 minutes, until just beginning to brown.  

Serve the scones hot from the oven, split and topped with butter, jam, honey or cream cheese (my British friends who I made this for were partial to raspberry jam and real butter, not margarine not cream cheese).

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Han Antilles is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

That sounds good. :)

Posted
Rating:
Site director

I agree with Han *s*

Posted
Rating:
New Republic Intelligence<br> I'll kill you with this fraking tray<br>Feles Mala!<br> I <3 Sammiches!

I've got a bad addiction to food and cooking blogs and this is one of my favorites.  She has links to many other good ones from her page as well.

Posted
Rating:
Site director

That looks awesome :]

Posted
Rating:
Site director

Yummy

Posted
Rating:
Banned

Thanks for the link, Val!  Those look great.

Posted
Rating:

Corran Antilles said

Yummy

Thank you, Corran. ;)  Oh!  You meant the recipes.  :p

You're welcome, Leto.

Posted
Rating:

I'm gonna have to take a look at that when I get home… *drool* Anybody got a good recipe for lemon bars? I've been craving them…

Posted
Rating:

From that particular blog.  These sounds really good and I've been meaning to try making them myself.

Posted
Rating:

oooh. and I even have walnuts in my cabinet. Thanks Val! :)

Posted
Rating:

You're welcome. :D

Let us know how they turned out.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.