Star Wars Epics Cookbook (Merged)

Posted
Rating:
#49122 (In Topic #2086)
Nothing says lovin' like goodies baked from the oven.  And what better way to kick off some of the holidays (ok, so it's a little late to be kicking off anything) than to share some favorite recipes, whether they're dedicated to the holidays or good any time of year.

Upon request, I'll kick off with a recipe.  Hopefully others will jump in and share some of theirs :)  Let us know if you try any of the recipes posted here and what you though of it.

Fettuccini Alfredo with Shrimp

Ingredients

8 oz. fetuccini pasta
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 red or green pepper, diced (I use both)
2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced (fresh is best)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. frozen cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp, thawed according to package directions.  (For this, use fresh if at all possible and devein it yourself.    See note at end of recipe for substitutions)

1 pkg. (1.6 oz.) Alfredo pasta sauce mix
1/3 Cup white wine
1 Cup milk
1 Cup frozen peas, thawed under hot water (I hate peas, so I don't use them)
1/3 Cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Grated and shaved Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions

Cook fettuccini according to package directions; drain.  Meanwhile, in large skillet melt butter over high heat.  (Careful, it burns easily).  Add diced pepper, garlice and pepper flakes; cook until softened, 5 - 6 minutes.  Add shrimp; cook 1 minute.  Dissolve Alfredo sauce in wine.  Add to skillet with milk; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly, 1 - 2 minutes.  Stir in peas; cook 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in basil.  

In large bowl, toss fettuccini with shrimp mixture, serve with grated parmesan and garnish with shavings if desired.

This recipe yields:  4 servings.  
Per Serving: 492 Calories; 37 g. protein; 12 g. fat, 249 mg. cholesterol; 57 g. carbs; 938 mg. sodium; 5 g. fiber.

Your time in the kitchen:  20 minutes
Read to serve in 20 minutes

Substitutions:

Crab, lobster, chicken, pork all make wonderful substitutions to the shrimp.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Corran Antilles is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Re: Star Wars Epics Cookbook

Wow, that sounds great.

Posted
Rating:

Luscious Orange Cheesecake with Raspberries

Ingredients

Cheesecake:

1 1/2 Cups crushed vanilla wafer cookies (about 50 cookies)
1/4 Cup butter or margarine, melted
3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
3 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Grated orange peel

Sauce and Garnish:

1 pint (2 Cups) whipping (heavy) cream
3 Egg yolks
2/3 Cup of sugar
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2 Tbs. orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
2 Cups of fresh raspberries (frozen can be used)

Directions

Heat oven to 350 (F).  In bottom of 9-inch springform pan, stir cookie crumbs and butter until crumbs are well coated.  Press firmly on bottom and 1 inch up side of pan.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.  Beat in milk, eggs, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon orange peel, scraping bowl tiwce, until well blended.  Pour over crust.

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes or until edge is light golden brown and center is still slightly jiggly.  Cool on wire rack 30 minutes.  Refrigerate 4 hours or until chilles.

In 3-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream just to boiling over low heat.  In small bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, and 1 teaspoon orange peel with fork or wire whisk until well blended.  Stir small amount of hot cream into yolk mixture, then stir yolk mixture back into cream in saucepan.  Cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon.  DO NOT BOIL.  Remove from heat.  Cool 30 minutes or until room temperature.  Stir in liqueur.  Refrigerate until serving.

To serve, spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce onto individual serving plates.  Place wedge of cheesecake on sauce.  Top with raspberries.  

Yields: 16 servings.

Posted
Rating:
<font color="red"><b>Sith Mistress<br>Chocolate Fiend<br>Black Leather Bitch.<br>I am an evil giraffe.</b></font>

I think Syren is my new master now.

Mmm… chocolate!

Posted
Rating:

So if a bunch of strange people I don't know suddenly show up at our door, should I panic or let y'all in? :lol

Posted
Rating:
<font color="red"><b>Sith Mistress<br>Chocolate Fiend<br>Black Leather Bitch.<br>I am an evil giraffe.</b></font>

I'm on your side, so you better. :p

Mmm… chocolate!

Posted
Rating:

*Informs Cyrel that they'll be receiving company.* :lol  Ok you can come in, but we'll be picky about the rest.  Maybe force them to do stupid tricks to gain entry :)

Posted
Rating:

I'll have the Shootin' Gun (tm) all ready to go.  In the meantime, I'll add my own little contribution, provided that I can remember it all.

Spaghetti Sauce (no, nothing creative in the title)

2- 8oz. cans of tomato sauce
2- small cans of tomato paste (4oz or 6oz)
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. sweet leaf basil
1 tsp. cilantro
1 tsp. thyme
3 bay leaves (vary for personal preference)
2 tbsp. brown sugar (optional, and can vary for personal preference)
1 white onion diced (vidalia works best)
1 whole tomato diced
1 green pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1-2 lbs ground beef (ground italian sausage is also good for a little more kick)

It is recommended that a crock pot is used for this, though this can also be done on the stove, it just takes a little more attention.  Combine all ingredients into the crock pot and let cook for 3-4 hours on high, or a bit longer on low.  In truth, the longer the better as the spices will be absorbed into the sauce more.  The meat should be cooked separately to drain off grease, but it using very lean meat, this is not necessary.

The crock pot method is the best since it only takes about 15-20 minutes to dice up, measure and combine all ingredients and then it's simply a matter of waiting.  Prepare in the morning or early afternoon for a great evening meal.

Posted
Rating:
Mother of Soldiers<br>I must go to the war, darling, they won’t start without me.

What great recipes, Syren and Cyrel. You make me hungry.

Posted
Rating:

Just wait until you try them out. :)

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remember'd;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother;

William Shakespeare - Henry V

Posted
Rating:

How come your household gets all the good cooks? *pout*

Posted
Rating:

We have an extra room :) You can come eat at our house :lol

Apricot-Bourbon Glazed Ham

Ingredients

1/2 Cup apricot preserves
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 Cup bourbon or pineapple juice
6 - to 8 - lb fully cooked smoked bone-in ham

Directions

1.  Heat oven to 325 (F).  In small bowl, mix preserves, ginger, and bourbon until smooth.

2.  Place ham on rack in shalow roasting pan.  Make cuts about 1/2 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep in diamond pattern around top and sides of ham.  Brush with 3 tablespoons of the preserves mixture.  Insert oven-proof meat thermometer in thickest part of ham.

3.  Bake uncovered 45 minutes.  Brush remaining preserves mixture over ham.    Bake about 45 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 140 (F).  Remove ham from oven, cover with tent of foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes for easier carving.  

Yields: 10 Servings

Prep Time:  10 Minutes
Start to Finish:  1 HR 55 MIN

Posted
Rating:
Banned

A recipe from my uncle.  Not completely from my uncle, obviously, because it required some editing.  And in the process received a lot of editing.  Which is my fault.

Seleq
(basically lamb with a little rice)

Ingredients
2 lbs (1 kg) of lamb, cut into half-ish inch cubes (1 cm)

3 medium onions, chopped.  Supposed to be "finely", whatever the hell that means, but I don't think that's an actual requirement.

2 cups (.5 l) milk

2 cups (.5 l) rise, rinsed

4 tablespoons (60 ml) melted butter

A little salt and pepper

Directions:

Simmer the lamb, onions, pepper and salt in a covered saucepan over a low heat.  After a hour, remove the meat and put it aside.  Keep it warm.

Add about 2 cups (.5 l) of water and the milk to the oniony, peppery water that you cooked the meat in and bring it to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover it and cook over a low heat until the rice is nearly cooked.  I'm not quite sure how you are supposed to be able to tell when it is nearly cooked… maybe the rice is a little pink on the inside.  Anyways, turn off the heat and allow to steam for ten minutes longer.

Put the rice on a large tray and arrange the meat on top.  Pour the melted butter over it.

All of this serves about five.

Now, imagine all of that only savaged by a bull elephant and you have an idea of my ability to cook.

Posted
Rating:

Ok then, I forgot what the official name of the recipe is, it's originally Hatian in origin. It's good for party finger good.

Basically you'll need:

Toothpicks
 1 Pack of Center Cut Bacon
 2 Cans of Water Chestnuts
 1 Cup of Ketchup
 1 Cup of Brown Sugar

Set Oven: 350 degrees

Directions:
 Take a knife and slice pack of bacon in half. Then, taking a half slice of bacon, wrap it around a water chestnut, then poke a toothpick through both the chestnut and bacon, and place it into a circular baking glass dish. Repeat until either the bacon or chestnuts are all used up. The combined the cups of Ketchup and Brown Sugar into a bowl and stir until good and mixed up. Place all of the bacon wrap ups into the glass dish, then pour the sauce over them. Insert into oven, and bake for, either 30 minutes or one hours time. LOL, I cannot remember if it was 30 minutes or one hour. Anyways, after it is done, pull out of oven, ready to go. Really delicious. Much better than the original Haitian recipe which uses liver instead of the chestnuts.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Samantha Koortyn is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Now I'm hungry.

Corran, you should post yours again.

Posted
Rating:
Site director

I need to translate them again. I'll post them later.

Posted
Rating:
Site director

Are they not in the archives somewhere?

Posted
Rating:
Site director

Oh, I'll look. :)

Posted
Rating:
Site director

For Sam:

Tomatoes with Mozzarella

You need:

Tomatoes (amount depends if you want it as starter or main dish. I go usually with around 3 tomatoes per person)
Mozzarella cheese (amount depends on how much tomatoes you use)
Fresh basil (if you can't get fresh one you can use dried basil or basil pesto as alternative)
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Balsamico vinegar

You have to cut the tomatoes intos slice. Put them next to each other on a plate. (You can use one plate per person, so that everybody gets an own or use a big one so that everybody can take as much as they want.)

Cut the mozzarella into slices too. Put them on top of the tomato slices.

Now season it with salt and some pepper. I prefer to use my salt and pepper mills for that. In my opinion it has a better taste when it's grounded freshly.

Now pour or spray the oil and vinegar above it. I can recommend such oil and vinegar sprayers highly, because you never put too much on it.

The last step: Put fresh basil leaves on the top of the tomato-mozzarella.

You can serve it with fresh bread. Baguette or Ciabatta bread tastes the best to it.

A variation: You can cut the tomatoes and mozzarella into bit-sized parts, put them in a bowl, add the spices, vinegar, oil and leaves. Mix it carefully. Serve it like a salad.

Posted
Rating:
Site director

That sounds great :]
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.