First Encounters

Posted
Rating:
#211 (In Topic #41)
Site staff
Gavin V. Thayer is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Storyboard for First Encounters, in which in which intial contacts with the First Order are made, and the threat they pose to the Galaxy begins to manifest itself. Timeframe is 19 ABY, follows the current (Disney) canon, but old EU (Legends) material can be used if it doesn't conflict.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Marcus Arete is in the usergroup ‘Old timer’
great first post gavin!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Thank you! I should mention that this story is open to all.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Renn Haythorn is in the usergroup ‘Regular’
Good work Gavin. I'll get my writing hat on.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Samantha Koortyn is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
This is great.  :)

Last edit: by Samantha Koortyn

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Please read the time card in your best Jacques Cousteau voice. Next stop, Mirrin Prime!

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Han Antilles is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
Wow! So happy we have a new story in the nuCanon! :)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Been thinking about writing the next post from the first person point of view.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Johnathan Claw is in the usergroup ‘Regular’
I have some experience with that perspective.

Posted
Rating:
Site director
Samantha Koortyn is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
1st person is effective if you can do it. I’d like to try second person like the book No Way Out.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Marcus, if still want to jump into the story but haven't started your post yet, have I plot for you!

You are currently enjoying your well-deserved retirement on planet G14/F-4 in Wild Space, which the settlers there have named "Safehaven". That morning, you decided to travel into the local community to pick up your weekly necessities in a Uulshos DPx yacht that you purchased with your mustering out pay. Once there, you discover that you have a message from a former associate requesting that you make contact ASAP.  You do so, surprised that you end up being switched to a heavily encrypted comm channel. After exchanging pleasantries about how you are enjoying your little slice of Ithor, your former comrade asks if you are willing to come out of retirement for a black operation. You're told it could be worth your while, but your price is a list of the equipment that the settlers on Safehaven need. You are then instructed to head to Black Spire on Batuu in the Trilon Sector to pick up the equipment you need for this mission: Commo gear, fuel, and other things that hint at a spy mission. You also learn that your next destination will be the planet Jedha, where you will pose as an archeologist.

Gavin will be headed to Jedha as well in a modified freighter carry his X-Wing, under the guise as a religious pilgrim. There is some surprise when we meet, and a short reunion, but Marcus gets down to business: Fitting  a shaped charge on Gavin's astromech droid, upping the self-destruct charges on his X-Wing, and strapping an auto-injector onto Gavin's leg that only Marcus can remove. Marcus tells Gavin that he is to do these things in the event that he is going to be captured:

1. Blow your droid's head off.
  2. Purge your X-Wing's flight computer of all data.
  3. Initiate self-destruct sequence.
  4. Activate auto-injector. Poison will kill Gavin painlessly in less than 5 seconds.

After Gavin takes off on his spy mission, maybe you can poke around Jedha and find a Jedi holocron or something. Gavin will scout a few systems, discovering that someone has caused a lot of destruction there. After Gavin makes it back to Jedha, he will Marcus what he saw, listing the systems which will include G14/F-4. Marcus will immediately bolt for his yacht and haul ass back to Safehaven, making one crazy hyperspace jump after another. Once there, you discovers the planet has been purged. Nobody answers your shouts. All the adults are dead, but you don't see any of the childrens' bodies. Destroying an Viper probe droid might make things interesting, especially if you bring it back to Jedha so Gavin and Marcus can take it back to New Republic territory. As we head back to the core via an extension of the Metellos Trade Route, we can encounter more evidence that resembles what happened on Safehaven: Ships carrying pilgrims to Jedha that look like they've been hijacked, with passengers and crew slaughtered. Check of the ship's mainifest will show that children were aboard, but they seem to have been taken. And if we do have a Jedi holocron, it can suddenly activate–much to the surprise of Marcus and Gavin, since as far as they know they aren't force sensitive–and warn us about a new danger: "That which rises from the ashes".

What do you think?

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
So I've been re-reading a lot of old posts.  From Ithor, Naboo, and all the way up through Vjun.  Trying to find the character again.

I've already started my post, but I can work in the Safehaven stuff, and since it's a ship design I don't mind I'll take it.  I'll look up the stats for it in a few.  My first post is turning into a long one for sure, trying to establish what happened in the ten years since Marcus left the Rogue's, and what his life has been like.  It's going to be a lot of exposition, so I'll apologize in advance.

Essentially, this is how I saw it:

Marcus heads into town for his weekly supply run with his family. (Yes Marcus has moved on)
While there, Marcus is warned of sketchy people around.  Marcus pays it no mind, and heads back with his family.
The next week he takes a meeting with the NRI representative that offers him to your mission, but declines.  But his family never returns from their outing.
He goes into investigate, and finds the First Order essentially having killed every adult in the town, and taking the kids.  Marcus intervenes, but gets on the first order's radar.
They come for him and the kids possibly at his house, and he has to defend them.
Afterwards, Marcus can drop the kids off (why I'm debating him having kids, cause why would he leave them) and go back to the NRi to fight these bastards.

I can meet you on Jedha, and I have an idea about the holocron.  Not sure about the explosives and suicide kit though.  Marcus would have a big problem doing that, especially to a friend.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Marcus,

I think we may have our wires crossed in regards to the timeline. My idea is to have this story set roughly 3 years after "Vjun–Heart of Darkness". Would that work for you? Marcus could still be married, and his kids (Twins? Triplets?) would be going through their "Terrible Two's" phase. Remember, Gavin is only 25 years old now, and Marcus being retired for 10 years wouldn't really work.

That's a good idea, that word is going around about a danger brewing in the region but Marcus not paying it any mind. How about the idea that he is also distracted by his kids–this where the terrible two's phase plays a part–as Marcus tries to keep them from touching things, pulling things from shelves, or screaming "I WANT ONE!"

First Order–We don't know for sure there is a First Order. Since we are still 15 years away from the events of "The Force Awakens", what do you think about the idea that most of the soldiers Marcus sees in the town are still wearing Imperial stormtrooper armor? Marcus would know how to deal with them, but he is surprised when a squad shows up wearing a new style armor and one of the troopers uses a flamethrower on him. Flametrooper is still raw and uses his weapon too far away from Marcus to be effective–other than maybe some singed hair and clothing–but he realized he has to retreat with the children he has rescued. The enemy pursues, but you are able to put up a defense at your homestead and save the kids.

Marcus and the refugee kids–I think you will have a really good scene there, with all of the tearful children crying to Marcus "Where's my Mommy and Daddy?"

Suicide kit and self-destruct devices–Another good idea! Marcus could be given them, but is nauseated by the thought by having to attach the poison auto-injector on Gavin when he realized how young his former Rogue Squadron mate is, and ends up chucking it aside.

Getting to Jedha–From Batuu (don't forget to say "Bright sun" or "Risiing stars" to the natives, depending on the time of day) you'd have to make a series of hyperspace jumps tp Ponemah Terminal. There, you would take Burke's Trailing hyperspace route (It's not on any official Galactic atlas or databank; info on the route is classified material) to Adrathrope, then Jakku (Be sure to thumb your nose at the wreckage of all the Imperial warships), with your last leg a straight shot galactic north to Jedha.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Ok yeah, I definitely got my wires crossed on the timeline.  I thought we were all ten years older, hence why I put that Marcus is 40 is his profile, but I can work with this for sure.

I'll have to rewrite the beginning of my post, but no worries.  Hope to have something up by monday.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Glad that's all cleared up, Marcus, and looking forward to your post. To make our story flow smoothly, I think the posting order should be as follows:

Marcus' post–Enjoying retirement on Safehaven, heads into town with family. Receives warning about danger.

Gavin's post–Receives instructions to carry out clandestine scouting mission. Unsanctioned, so it will fall under "black ops" label. Will need some support, so feelers will be put out. And Marcus, if you have some names for the NRI representatives that offer you the mission, can you give them to me so I can include them in my post?

Marcus' post–Meets with NRI operatives, but declines their offer. Marcus' family fails to return from outing.

Gavin's post–Now at Foerost shipyard getting his Hutt's Paw T-70 set up for a spy mission, along with a converted hauler that he will pilot to Jedha, learns that his mission has been put on hold;

Marcus' post--Goes into town to investigate/discover whereabouts of family, is caught up in the raid on Safehaven. Rescues children, defeats invaders at his homestead. Gets orphans to safety, tells NRI he's in the fight.

Gavin's post--Learns mission is on. Sets out for Jedha.

Marcus' post--Travels to Batuu, receives material and further instructions, travels to Jedha.

Gavin's post--Arrives Jedha, share reunion with Marcus. Gavin laughs at Marcus' Indiana Jones outfit, Marcus laughs at Gavin's pilgrim shroud.

Marcus' post--Preps Gavin for mission, refuses to utilize self-destruct/ suicide equipment on younger pilot and droid. Sees Gavin off, then pokes around Jedha and finds holocron.

Gavin's post--Pokes around Wild Space, encounters and destroys probe droid on one planet. Brings remains back to Jedha as evidence.

Marcus' post--Return of Marcus and Gavin to Core Worlds, encounter pilgrim ships that have been hijacked, with children abducted. Your idea about holocron could go here pehaps, Marcus?

Gavin's post--Arrival at Chandrila where they will report their findings.

And with my concluding post, Epic's 2.0 first roleplaying tale will be in books. Sound like a plan, Marcus?

Last edit: by Gavin V. Thayer

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Marcus' post–Enjoying retirement on Safehaven, heads into town with family. Receives warning about danger.  (sounds good, also means I don't have to write the big huge thing this weekend)

Gavin's post–Receives instructions to carry out clandestine scouting mission. Unsanctioned, so it will fall under "black ops" label. Will need some support, so feelers will be put out. And Marcus, if you have some names for the NRI representatives that offer you the mission, can you give them to me so I can include them in my post? (Since it's only three years, Colonel Troutman, based off Rambo character of same name and who in cannon was in NRI)

Marcus' post–Meets with NRI operatives, but declines their offer. Marcus' family fails to return from outing. (This will probably be Troutman in person, maybe it's video or pre-recorded self-destruct in 10 seconds holo)

Gavin's post–Now at Foerost shipyard getting his Hutt's Paw T-70 set up for a spy mission, along with a converted hauler that he will pilot to Jedha, learns that his mission has been put on hold;

Marcus' post–Goes into town to investigate/discover whereabouts of family, is caught up in the raid on Safehaven. Rescues children, defeats invaders at his homestead. Gets orphans to safety, tells NRI he's in the fight.

Gavin's post–Learns mission is on. Sets out for Jedha.

Marcus' post–Travels to Batuu, receives material and further instructions, travels to Jedha.

Gavin's post–Arrives Jedha, share reunion with Marcus. Gavin laughs at Marcus' Indiana Jones outfit, Marcus laughs at Gavin's pilgrim shroud.

Marcus' post–Preps Gavin for mission, refuses to utilize self-destruct/ suicide equipment on younger pilot and droid. Sees Gavin off, then pokes around Jedha and finds holocron.

Gavin's post–Pokes around Wild Space, encounters and destroys probe droid on one planet. Brings remains back to Jedha as evidence.

Marcus' post–Return of Marcus and Gavin to Core Worlds, encounter pilgrim ships that have been hijacked, with children abducted. Your idea about holocron could go here pehaps, Marcus?
(So the holocron idea includes an old character of mine.  Luke Halcyon.  He's a gray jedi like Corran, but instead of Corran's rather eloquent way of getting there, Luke represents probably my weakest stories.  Luke was good, then sith.  pretty sure he actually killed someone, joined the sith, came back to the light while still in the Sith….honestly it was a mess.  Ironically his last sotry on Naboo was when he went gray, and he kind of benefitted from writing Marcus and John where my writing drastically improved.  At least in my opinion.  So he was last seen going into hyperspace, trying to warn the New republic about naboo.  There was an issue with me joining the story at that point, and so the plotline languished, and died when I stopped coming to the site regularly.  The point to all that was that in canon, on his ship was a Jedi Holocron gifted to him from hid Jedi Grandfather.  I'm going to start percolating ideas about maybe using that holocron.  Either bring him back, maybe his droid to explain what happened, or maybe to start another plot thread.  Like instead of disspearing, what if Luke happened upon that fleet of star destroyers in the "skywalker rises" trailer, and maybe got captured by the imperials…but maybe a new batch.  I dunno.  Like i said percolating.

Gavin's post–Arrival at Chandrila where they will report their findings.

And with my concluding post, Epic's 2.0 first roleplaying tale will be in books. Sound like a plan, Marcus?

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Marcus,

Thanks for the info! Colonel Troutman it is. Also, when he contacts you, it could be via hyperwave narrow-band transceiver from Edan II. That was a Sector/Regional HQ for the Alliance, and must still be in the New Republic era.

Luke Halcyon–Since Luke is conflicted between Light and Dark, perhaps he ended up on Jedha, the spiritual home of the Jedi Order, to seek clarity. Timothy Zahn's new Thrawn trilogy has some interesting possibilities–The Chiss have Force-sensitives, which they use as human hyperspace computers. The majority are females, and lose their Force abilities as they grow older. Maybe one of the ruling houses of the Aristocra abducted Luke and wants to use him in a way that will allow the Chiss to retain their use of the Force throughout their lifetimes? There is also the Grysk, an alien species like the Vong–I know, I know–but without the organic technology. Maybe they abducted Luke–they were abducting Chiss children to learn about the Force–so as to help them with new plans of conquest?

Holocrons–Don't know too much about these, since I never role-played as Force sensitive. Would a holocron detect someone like Snoke, who is not Sith but merely on the Dark Side?

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Read Luke Halcyon's bio, saw that he is of Corellian descent. Also, holocrons can only be activated by Force-users. But what if the holocron recognizes that Gavin is also a Corellian and activates on its own. After all, two Corellians together–even if one is in holographic form–is a conspiracy. I'm pretty sure that that would surprise the hell out of Marcus and Gavin when it happens, especially if we are in the cockpit of our starship having a conversation when a third voice joins in. Both of us could jump out of our seats and quick draw our blasters, only to be astonished by what we see. And since it is from Halcyon's grandfather, we can even work some Olys Corellisi into the dialogue.

Posted
Rating:
Standard member
Holocrons are essentially plot devices.  Usually they are just stores of knowledge, like little portable wikipedias.

I'm working on an idea for that.  Like either the holocron has Luke's last message cause he's dead, or leads to his current whereabouts.  I'm on the fence about playing the character again, cause like I said he was generally a mess, and my weakest by far writing wise.  It might be fun to resurrect him, but like I said still on the fence.  But I can percolate while our story progresses.

So about Marcus' first post.  The good news is that I have a clear concise story, and I know how i'm going to start and end it.  I am going to change a few details above, but overall basically  the same overarching narrative.  Might add a few "into the past" posts to fill in the three years, but that can be handled later.

So i was already to write last night, and my teething infant (7 months) stayed up till 4am.  So no writing for me.  I'll try to get it done this week.  Sorry for the delay.  Being an adult is SO fun!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Life can imitate art! No wonder Marcus would miss the warning about danger if he was up till 4 am! I was also reading the old Vjun posts, and Marcus' dreams/visions; any chance your kid/kids will have the names Alia or Corran?
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.