Notes on an Aria
Submitted By: Aria Drake
On: 05-09-2016
Cay's Personal Notes
Submitted By: Cayenne Rudal
On: 11-07-2005
Last Reply: Cayenne Rudal
On: 04-06-2013
Miscah Margolin's Memoirs...Nah that's just too damn fancy.
Submitted By: Mischa Margolin
On: 11-04-2005
Last Reply: Mischa Margolin
On: 03-28-2013
Moff Aath's Private Journal
Submitted By: Moff Willem von Aath
On: 08-19-2007
Last Reply: Moff Willem von Aath
On: 03-01-2013
The Duke
Submitted By: Duke Jagreen Kane
On: 05-01-2010
More...

She was right (a 9/11 memory)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Luke Halcyon
aka Darth Venomous

Luke Halcyon is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Luke Halcyon
Default She was right (a 9/11 memory)

This was posted on MSN this morning in a where were you when 9/11 happened forum.

I am a high school teacher and that morning, our classes were attending a program in the auditorium. I shall never forget the janitor coming in, getting me and telling me to come to her office, where she had a small television. The first plane had hit, so no one really knew what had happened. Soon, the second one hit; then the third at the Pentagon and a fourth in Pennsylvania. The REALITY of that moment was something I will never forget. Never before had America been attacked. Who could be so bold or so foolish to do this? Suddenly, I became nauseous; light-headed and I knew that I had 30 students to face. When I went into my first class, I turned on the TV and watched silently and tearfully. Teachers were turning from CNN to NBC to ABC to CBS, trying to get more coverage.

My class was a sophomore Humanities class. They were fifteen or so and seemed stunned more than anything else. One young woman turned to me and asked, "What does this mean"? All I could say was, "From this moment forward, your life will never be the same, ever. WE ARE AT WAR". I frightened myself when I said it and I'm still frightened. God Bless America and her people.

You know what...she was right

Re: She was right (a 9/11 memory)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Samantha Koortyn
Administrator
Kätzchen!
This is not a game of who the frak are you.
Silence! I kill you!

Samantha Koortyn is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Samantha Koortyn Send a message via MSN to Samantha Koortyn
Default Re: She was right (a 9/11 memory)

I remember listening on the way to work as it happened, and at first they thought it was a terrible accident, until the second plane hit. Then things got worse.

From that point on, I began taking an active interest in our country's politics and current events, and I still do to this day. It was the first time, ever, that a news report hit me so deeply, even though I knew no one involved.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Corran Antilles
I'm ADMIN-Man!
Alpha male, Force Balancer
Kitty!
I'm not Jeff Vader!
Lord Winterbringer

Corran Antilles is Offline:
Send a message via ICQ to Corran Antilles Send a message via AIM to Corran Antilles Send a message via MSN to Corran Antilles

I was at work, listenting to the radio at the office. As they said that a plane crashed into the tower, we thought first that it must have been a pilot error, a navigation malfunction. Then the second plane crashed. And the third one.

A bunch of co-workers and even our boss stand around my radio. All of us stunned, speechless and scared. The most scariest had been that you didn't know who was behind it. All of us thought: So that's World War III.

I drove home early and tried to contact all my friends in USA via email and messenger, hoping that they all would be okay.

Today I wish all strength to the families of the victims. It's hard enough to see the pictures of the crashing towers again. The memory is still fresh enough. And I don't want to imagine how much more terrible the pictures are, when you have lost somebody there.

Be nice or I'll forcecast the weather.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Ma-Ta Rissa
Dragon Lady
Do You Know the Magic Word?

Ma-Ta Rissa is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Ma-Ta Rissa Send a message via MSN to Ma-Ta Rissa

I was at home, getting ready for classes (I was home-schooled in high school and took classes in a co-op) when my mom suddenly yelled for my dad and me to come into our library, where our TV is. I kept watching, and just kept thinking it was a horrible prank someone was trying to pull. When the towers began collapsing, it really clicked. I just thank God that my dad was currently unemployed at the time, and therefore not on a business trip.

When I got to class later, my teacher was barely holding herself together because many of her friends were pilots (from her husband's Air Force days). She made us work, however, because that was the only way she could get through that day.

On the way back and forth from home, my mom pointed out how there were absolutely no clouds. Not even regular ones. That would probably be the only time I would ever see that again.

"Non omnes, qui habent citharum, sunt citharoedi."
Many are called, but few are chosen.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Val'kia Navin
New Republic Intelligence
I'll kill you with this fraking tray
Feles Mala!
I <3 Sammiches!

Val'kia Navin is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Val'kia Navin Send a message via Yahoo to Val'kia Navin

I had just turned on the television as I was getting ready for work and thought it was all...unreal. And as I was watching the coverage of the first impact, the second plane hit and I still couldn't process the fact for a few seconds that this was all actually happening.

I got to work and all we could talk about was what, if anything, we could do to help. Two members of my unit did end up traveling to NYC to help out and the rest of lent what small support we could from a distance.

Like Samantha, I had been admittedly more apathetic than I should have been regarding politics before this event, but not any longer.

I thankfully didn't know anyone personally who lost their life that day.

We lived right outside of New York when I was a kid and my father worked on the WTC as a sheetmetal worker during it's construction. He was so proud when those structures he'd been part of building were completed.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Marcus Arete
The Ghost

Marcus Arete is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Marcus Arete

I was sleeping when the first plane hit, and my ex-gf called me at 9 am and all i heard was her tears and sobs on the other end.

"Turn on the TV" she said

"ok, ok, calm down, what channel"

"It doesn't matter"

I turned the TV on, and was watching live as the second plane hit. an hour later my mother and me watched in horror as the tower fell. I think the thing I remember most are the fact that living on Long Island all this was happening 40 minutes away. We heard the Jets streaking across our skys, and the helicopter patrols. i remember no one was at the movie theatre where i worked that day. I remember having a conversation with my ex that night about WWIII, and the draft possibility, and how if their were a draft, she would want me to get her pregnant so she wouldn't have to go. I mean the day before it was bologna or salami for lunch, and I just couldn't believe I was discussing things like this at 20 years old. It was so unreal, and yet everywhere, on the faces of Everyone, no one knew what to do or what to say.

That woman in Luke's post was right. Our lives were never the same

Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Cyan Madine
Official Facepalmer

Cyan Madine is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Cyan Madine

I was drying my hair after taking a shower to get ready for school (remember: west coast =P) when my mom pounded on the bathroom door. I opened it to hear her whispering that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I was shocked, so we ran to the next room to see the -live- news coverage... only to watch as the second plane crashed into the other tower (just like Val). I couldn't believe my eyes. It was really hard to get ready after that.

Usually when I walked into my high school I was greeted by the echoes of hundreds of conversations, but this morning everyone was subdued, and most people were rushing to class so they could watch the coverage (almost every classroom had a TV), a far cry from what usually happened on a weekday morning. My class, AP Bio, didn't get going for a full 45 minutes as the teacher knew someone who worked in the WTC. Thankfully his friend wasn't at work that day.

I was watching one of the many specials that have been on TV lately on 9/11 last night, and the feelings I had that day came rushing back. I knew it would impact me; I just didn't know how much until after it had fully sunk in.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Split Infinity
Jedi Padawan

Split Infinity is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Split Infinity Send a message via MSN to Split Infinity

I was in 8th grade and had just finished taking a shower for school that morning. On my way out the door I spotted both of my parents in the living room glued to the television. I could hear the news reporter talking in a shocked tone of voice and went to go see what happened. The magnitude of the event never really hit me until later that day. Might of been because I was younger and not really wrapped up in politics or anything, but everyone at my school had no idea what had happened because they had taken the bus there earlier than 9:11 AM.

When I got there I was talking to people about it and they had no idea. Everyone was shocked. The rest of the day was spent listening to the radio or watching news channels. It was all very eerie.

~*~

Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy, was on Dinner for Five and was talking about his near-experience with 9/11. I guess his assistant had booked his flight the previous week, and it was the first plane that hit the towers. Seth ended up sleeping in and missing the flight because of a bad hangover from the night before. He is still very shaken up about that, and mentioned his heartfelt sorrow for the pour soul that got to take his place on the flight.

Now he claims that alcohol saved his life.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Jelt
Panther, Han Hunter
aka Tyanni Ventyra
wheeeee, I have poetical pants

Jelt is Offline:

I was 12, seventh grade, and myself and my family were at the Missionary Learning Center in Virginia. It was the first day of the five-week program and we were in class at the small school they had on the complex. We hadn't started anything, but everyone got quiet when one of the adults walked in and snapped the TV on. I don't remember much else of that day, except the fog.

What I do remember is a couple of weeks later, on a trip to Washington, D.C., we drove over one huge bridge on the interstate and there was the pentagon, with a huge hole in the side of it, less than a mile away.

Then we got on a plane November 1st and left America. Just when I'd never loved it more.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
Devon Vos
An Exile from an Exodus

Devon Vos is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Devon Vos Send a message via MSN to Devon Vos

Man, you think you've come to terms with something and then you read something like this and realise you'll never come to terms with it. It's one of those things that anytime someone asks "where were you?" you'll always remmeber it with vivid detail.

I was in a weight training class at my University, someone came in and said something had happened and turned on the radio, it was the local NBC news guys. If you can imagine it, 30 guys all standing around the radio in stunned silence as we listened to the reports of the first two planes hitting. The coach let us go early, I had one more class that day but it was empty, cancelled. Went home and when I turned on the TV the first thing I see is the first replay of the first tower coming down. I remmeber thinking that it also looked like something from a movie, my brain just didn't want to admit that something like this was happening, then the second tower fell... the rest of that day is a fog.

Shock, anger, disgust, and finally resolve... that was the progression of emotions

9/11 was many things, above all I think it was a clarion call to those in this country that had been apathetic towards it's fate, it left and indelliable mark on the collective conciouses of a generation. I only hope that the lesson isn't lost or twisted in the years to come, because if we don't learn from the past it will inevitably repeat itself and I have no desire to experience another day like that one in my lifetime.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Han Antilles
Han "Danger" Antilles, PI
Oh holy crap...
I think I blew my foot off...

Han Antilles is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Han Antilles

9/11 was the first time that I actually decided to do something as an American citizen and stopped becoming apathetic about politics and the world we live in. Eventually, I registered to vote and finally began to take a stand on issues and voted on them.

On that day, I was still living in Vegas and knew nothing about the incident until I finally made it in to work that day. Usually when I wake up, I don't bother listen to the news as I get dressed, nor when I drive to work: I listen to CD's.

When I settled into my cubicle at work, I noticed one of my co-workers actually walking in the door carrying a TV in his arms and placing it in his office. Of course, I was like: WTF?!!

It was until I asked him that he informed me what happened. I thought he was kidding or if it was true, that maybe the pilot fell asleep or had a heart attack or something. Never did I think it was an act of terrorism until the news reports told me otherwise.

Nevertheless, the rest of the day, me and the other co-workers kept visiting his office and watched the continual updates from the TV he brought in. It was really quiet the rest of that day.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
Marcus Arete
The Ghost

Marcus Arete is Offline:

One year later....I still remember

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Corran Antilles
I'm ADMIN-Man!
Alpha male, Force Balancer
Kitty!
I'm not Jeff Vader!
Lord Winterbringer

Corran Antilles is Offline:
Send a message via ICQ to Corran Antilles Send a message via AIM to Corran Antilles Send a message via MSN to Corran Antilles

Like the most people do.

I wish all those, who lost beloved ones on that day or in the following war, all strength.

Be nice or I'll forcecast the weather.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
Samantha Koortyn
Administrator
Kätzchen!
This is not a game of who the frak are you.
Silence! I kill you!

Samantha Koortyn is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Samantha Koortyn Send a message via MSN to Samantha Koortyn

I wish Juiliani would shut up about how much he was there when he spent more time at baseball games than at ground zero.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
Traven Dunn
Imperial Group Captain
Black Paladin
Body by Milk
Do they want tea?
I am pimper than you.
Is it a kind of pastry?

Traven Dunn is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Traven Dunn

Yes, that's the worst, that politicians use it for their dirty games.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Han Antilles
Han "Danger" Antilles, PI
Oh holy crap...
I think I blew my foot off...

Han Antilles is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Han Antilles

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous what he has been doing this week.

Nevertheless, thanks for bumping this up, Marcus.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Jelt
Panther, Han Hunter
aka Tyanni Ventyra
wheeeee, I have poetical pants

Jelt is Offline:

I wish I had a flag to fly today, but it's at home.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
Marcus Arete
The Ghost

Marcus Arete is Offline:

np Han, least I could do.

Politicians can go spit, if they use this horrible act to further their own ambitions.

And i join in Corran's sentiment, as i'm sure we all do

Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Luke Halcyon
aka Darth Venomous

Luke Halcyon is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Luke Halcyon

One year later, Epics remembers again

Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
Telemachus
Supervillain of the Computer Rage

Telemachus is Offline:
Send a message via AIM to Telemachus

The world's finest:
The United States Marine Corps
The New York Fire Department

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

From the halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our countrys battles In the air, on land, and sea,
First to fight for right and freedom , And to keep our honor clean,
We are proud to claim the title Of United States Marines.